AC Cars are Britain’s oldest car manufacturer and have the unique distinction of having been in production since 1901. The AC name carries much prestige, international recognition and ranks alongside other major worldwide historical marques.
AC was approached by Carroll Shelby to use a small block Ford V8 engine in the Ace chassis, producing the AC Cobra. Shelby needed a car that could compete with the Chevrolet Corvette in US sports car racing. The resulting Cobra was a very powerful roadster, and it is commonly blamed for the introduction of the 70 mph (113 km/h) limit on British motorways. This was in fact a major factor in the decision, after a coupe version was caught doing 196 mph (315 km/h) during a test run. The rest they say is history!
This specially commissioned Cobra we understand is just one of only four fully completed lightweight 7litre cars manufactured by AC Cars Ltd at Brooklands, Surrey. #1318 was commissioned to be completed to a unique specification.
Our Lightweight Cobra has been fitted with a 7 Litre Ford V8 – custom made with a works freshly rebuilt 7014cc (dating back to 1967 when new) and fitted with a Ford top loader “Rug” 4 speed gearbox.
Special build features included:
- Full 427 bodywork utilising the original bucks & jigs from 1965 to incorporate the original rectangular lights and riveted bonnet scoop.
- Power output is approx. 400bhp with an estimated 0-100mph in less than 10 seconds!
- Specially commissioned to be painted in Alfa Romeo “Zagato” Red.
- Original Mk 111 (1965) interior trim in black with Mk 111 steering column, flick switches, single lever indictor/horn, original pattern wood rim steering wheel, chrome bezels instruments and drivers race harness.
- Driver’s side roll cage.
- Recessed Monza style petrol filler.
- Original 15” Halibrand wheels fitted with Pirelli P7R tyres.
- Polished bronze 3 eared knock – off spinners.
- Oil cooler, Radiator stone guard, Wind wings, Perspex sun visors, Tool kit in bags.
- Full weather equipment and car cover.
- Complete with original handbook pack and other associated technical information.
A unique opportunity to own one of four motorcar produced which took over 2,000 highly skilled man hours to construct by one of Britain’s oldest car companies whom produced cars in the traditional way of hand built manufacturing since commencement of its first model way back in 1901.ENQUIRE NOW
|Model||AC Mk IV Lightweight 7 Litre|
|Colour||Alfa Romeo “Zagato” Red|